The results show that potential property owners think that efficiency, security and connectivity are most important. These features are preferred to the visual appeal of a new home.
The list of 20 most sought after property features included unusual winners such as ‘plenty of electrical sockets’ and ‘a land line telephone’. However the features that were missing were more surprising. ‘High rated schools’, ‘open plan kitchen and living area’ and ‘period features’ did not make it into buyers’ top 20 property ‘must-haves’.
Top 20 Must-Have Property Features:
- Central heating – 69%
- Double glazing – 68%
- A garden – 65%
- Secure doors and windows – 61%
- Driveway or dedicated parking space – 54%
- Plenty of electrical sockets – 54%
- Local shops and amenities – 50%
- A good, reliable broadband connection strong enough to stream TV and films – 49%
- Friendly neighbours – 47%
- At least 2 toilets – 46%
- A bath – 46%
- A good energy efficiency rating – 46%
- A new boiler/central heating system – 45%
- A reliable, clear mobile phone signal – 44%
- A shower cubicle – 40%
- A garage – 39%
- Cavity wall insulation – 38%
- A land line telephone – 38%
- A living room big enough for a large, flat screen television – 37%
- A dining room – 35%
Matt Sanders from Gocompare.com Home Insurance said: “Buying a home is a major investment and while most of us will only buy a house if it ‘feels right’, our survey should hopefully give those looking to sell their home a steer on what buyers are after.”
Jason Dyer from JTM Homes added: “I was surprised to see that good schools did not feature on the list of sought-after property features. Additional space is always appealing. It was interesting to see that gardens and garages continue to be popular whereas conservatories were not included in the results.
“Buyers are very conscious of finances are willing to compromise finer property details to keep costs down. This research helps our vendors to know what matters to potential buyers and how to present their properties”
If you are thinking of selling your home, talk to the team at JTM Homes. You’ll receive fast, efficient service with straight-talking advice about how to increase your property’s appeal to potential buyers.